Marys Peak Group Outings
Please open or download the current issue of The Benchmark for the Outings list
Marys Peak Group General Outing Policies
Your Responsibilities: If you attend an MPG Outing, you are responsible for your own care, including but not limited to making sure that you are sufficiently fit and equipped for the event. Talk with your leader if you have any doubts about whether you can handle the outing, or any questions about what to bring. Tell your leader about medical conditions which could affect your participation and safety, including but not limited to diabetes, heart conditions, insect allergies.
- Arriving for an outing: Please contact the leader before an outing. Then arrive at the start point a few minutes early; we leave on time. Unless otherwise stated, carpool departures are from the parking lot between Wilkinson Hall and the Asian Cultural Center at Arnold and 27th Streets, on the OSU campus in Corvallis. Contact the leader to meet the group at a point other than the start point.
Cancellations: If you are unable to attend an outing you have signed up for, please let your leader know. Often
the number of participants is limited. You could be preventing someone on a waiting list from joining the outing if you don't notify.
Occasionally MPG has to cancel or change an outing, usually for safety reasons. If you have given the leader an email address and/or phone number, you will be notified if possible.
- Carpools: Suggested reimbursement is $2.50 to $3.00 for every hour driven; more when the roads are difficult or the number of riders is small.
- Dogs: Dogs other than certified assistance dogs are allowed only on designated dog walks.
- What to wear; what to bring: Dress for the weather, with sturdy boots or walking shoes, usually rain gear, no jeans or heavy cottons for extended outings. Bring water, sunscreen, snacks, lunch if outing starts in the morning, any medications you might require. For longer outings, especially in wilderness areas, you should consider bringing the Ten Essentials.
- Liability waiver: All participants must sign a standard Sierra Club liability waiver before each outing. To read the liability waiver before you choose to participate on an outing, please see http://sierraclub.org/outings/chapter/forms/ or contact the National Sierra Club Outings Department at (415) 977-5528 for a printed version. Neither the Sierra Club nor the Marys Peak Group is responsible for participants during the trips to and from the trailhead.
- Minors on outings: People under 18 are welcome on outings for which they have sufficient fitness, but must be accompanied by a responsible adult. A liability waiver (see above) must be signed by a parent or legal, court-appointed guardian.